I have been collecting material for this project, I decided to build a hand pump first, this is the result. It is NOT my design I have used the design shown in Australian Model Engineering issue 200 with a few differences.
As I have a lot of silver soldering to do for the boiler I thought starting with the pump I might get up to speed as these are not as critical to the whole project and can be redone easily if not successful. I still need to practice more.
I changed the design somewhat I used hydraulic piston seal and O rings where the piston cyclinder connects to the valve body.and will feed water to the pump from a external water tank (to be built later).
First test it pumps to 250psi no problems I do have a very slight water leak to fix I think it is my silver solder joint on the valve body more practice needed.
In this post, I will elaborate on the next steps I took towards building a vertical boiler.
I purchased material from the UK and I have trimmed the copper tube to length I fitted a plug in one end and gripped with 3 jaw chuck, using a steady to trim each end.
I then purchased some 3 mm copper sheet to make the end plates for the firebox and boiler tube cut it with a jig saw roughly round then into the lathe to get round then I decided to try metal spinning.
This worked very well I tried as purchased first (Semi hard) but found it was stretching the sheet and starting to thin to much so I annealed and tryed again and was able to get very acurate sizes it only needed a slight skim on OD. Then the drilling results next photo.
Thanks for joining me!
I have started to collect materials for this build, I will start construction soon. Still finding my way around this blog site trying to work out how to post all this information, hope you enjoy this trip and all comments welcome.